Monday, April 21, 2008

A Little Lesson...

I have decided to back up a step and give an overview of what IVF is. Since most of those that I am going to share this blog with have never experience infertility-- I want to back up so that you have an idea as to what the heck I am talking about! :)

I guess the best way explain what IVF is-- is to just give you the definition-- I think it pretty much sums it up (well...good enough for now anyway ;) ):

In vitro fertilization[1] (IVF) is a technique in which egg cells are fertilised by sperm outside the woman's womb, in vitro. IVF is a major treatment in infertility when other methods of assisted reproductive technology have failed. The process involves hormonally controlling the ovulatory process, removing ova (eggs) from the woman's ovaries and letting sperm fertilise them in a fluid medium. The fertilised egg (zygote) is then transferred to the patient's uterus with the intent to establish a successful pregnancy.

Doesn't it sound really fun???? Can't wait... seriously...I can't! :)

I hope that helps...

No comments: