Monday, August 25, 2008

Operation "Surprise Parents"- Complete!

In just 1 week my parents will celebrate their 35th wedding anniversary! Not only is this accomplishment a remarkable one, but it is also some what of an inspiration. I truly feel that my parents have "the marriage" that everyone wants. They are lovey, they tiff, they tease, they are a unit, they are independent, they are an example! They are not perfect-- but who is? Whose relationship is? No ones... but in terms of a perfect example of how to survive year after year with another-- they do a great job!

Anyway... so in 1 week they will celebrate 35 years together. I wanted to mark this occasion! Gary and I decided that we would fly to CT and surprise them! I also wanted to have a BBQ to celebrate. My sister and I recruited the help of my whole family (6 aunts, 7 uncles and a bunch of cousins) to help execute this "surprise." Well... it was a success!! Gary and I flew up to CT on Thursday and our plan was for my sister to lure them to a restaurant where we would surprise them. Well...my mom... wasn't playing along. She insisted that she didn't want to go out to dinner. Boo... there goes that idea. So then my sister thought it would be good just to show up at their house. Okay...that could work. We got there-- my dad wasn't home yet--boo #2. So we shocked my mom. Hehehe... she had no idea! The look on her face-- priceless. She was shocked! Then my dad came home-- he was shocked too! So much so-- that my sister said she was worried--he turned really pale. Poor guy--we werent looking to give him a heart attack!!

We had the big BBQ for them on Saturday- we had a great time!! The weather was perfect and it was so nice to spend a day with my family and just relax. Well...I say relax...I wasn't really relaxed-- feeding and organizing a party for 40 is no easy feat! I had lots of help though!!
Here are some pictures from the day...

The Family

The "girls"--my sister and 4 cousins

Party in full swing

Nothing like a little competative bean bag toss

Cheers!

Yay!! Party success!!

1 comment:

Miss Feisty said...

wow! 35 years is definitely something to be proud of!